Rifle Regional Water Purification Plant
Information on Odors in Water
We utilize chlorine dioxide as a disinfectant at the water treatment plant. It is a good disinfectant and reduces the formation of compounds, such as trihalomethanes.
When a water tap is open, small amounts of chlorine dioxide diffuse into the air and combine with existing household odors. All homes have volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in the ambient air produced by paint, carpet, new furnishings, scented products (such as soaps, candles, air fresheners or incense), or fresh flowers and many other common household items. The combination of VOC & Chlorine Dioxide has been described as smelling like fuel, oil, kerosene, chemicals or cat urine. The odor will continue until the levels of the VOC in the household ambient air decreases. The remedy is to increase ventilation by opening windows and turning on fans.
Alternatively, you can remove chlorine dioxide and other chlorine compounds from the water by using an activated carbon filter. This will prevent the formation of VOC compounds that can cause unpleasant odors.
WATER QUALITY REPORT FOR CALENDAR YEAR 2021
- Jesse Flowers, Class "A" Water Treatment Operator, Class "3" Water Distribution Operator, Class "1" Wastewater Collection Operator
- Logan Emmert, Class "D" Water Treatment Operator, Class "1" Water Distribution Operator
- Dustin Miller, Class "D" Water Treatment Operator, Class "1" Water Distribution Operator
- Noah Shiflett, Utility Maintenance Mechanic
- Marsha McCormick, Wastewater Lab Technician and Meter Reader, Class "D" Wastewater Treatment Operator
- Lynn Miller, Utilities Billing Clerk
Collection and Distribution StaffCasey Boren – Collection and Distribution Supervisor
State of Colorado Class "2" Collection and Class "2" Distribution Operator
Responsible for The City's water distribution and sewage collection networks. C&D duties include flushing water lines, exercising valves, televising and jetting sewer lines, meter reading, and repairing breaks.
Collection and Distribution Personnel
- Brent Cole, C&D Technician, Cross Connection Control Survey Certified, Backflow Prevention and Cross Connection Control Tester Certified,
- Willians Alcerro, C&D Technician, Class "C" Water Treatment Operator, Class "1" Waster Distribution Operator, Class "1" Wastewater Collection Operator
- Sean Carlson, C&D Technician, Class "2" Water Distribution Operator, Class "2" Wastewater Collection Operator
- Trish Fettig, Program Specialist, Class "D" Wastewater Operator, Backflow Prevention and Cross Connection Control Tester Certified