Parks & Recreation Advisory Board
The Board meets 1-2 times a month. Agendas, Packets, and Minutes can be found by using the navigation buttons.
Parks & Recreation Mission Statement “To put forth the highest level of parks, programs, facilities, and services necessary, to establish Rifle as the premier recreational community on the Western Slope.”
Description The Parks & Recreation Advisory Board (PRAB) was formed in 2005, in conjunction with the passage of the Penny Sales Tax. The board consists of seven voting members and one alternate. One member must be a representative of the senior population at least fifty-five years of age or older. One member may live outside of Rifle City Limits. Members serve three-year terms. Terms begin in February.
- Sara Brainard
- Trudy Lowery
- Kevin Kelley
- Aaron Cumming
- Annie MacGregor
Want to be a board member?
The City of Rifle Parks and Recreation Department is seeking candidates to fill vacancies in the Parks and Recreation Advisory Board. The Parks and Recreation Advisory Board (PRAB) works in an advisory capacity to staff and City Council in matters pertaining to Parks and Recreation, such as master planning, programming, development of policies, capital project prioritization, and review of the annual budget.
The PRAB consists of 7 regular members, plus 1 alternate member who may vote during the absence of a regular board member. Currently, one vacancy is for a regular member, and one vacancy is for the alternate position. Board members serve three year staggered terms. Terms will vary based on the timing of the vacancy and the two open terms end in January of 2023. Candidates must live within Rifle city limits.
Candidates will be interviewed by the Parks and Recreation Advisory Board. The board will then make a recommendation to Council for the appointments.
The Parks and Recreation Advisory board generally meets 2 times per month on Monday evenings at 5:30 p.m., (one week prior to Rifle City Council meetings).
Interested persons may obtain an application and/or more information by contacting the Parks and Recreation Director at firstname.lastname@example.org
Duties and Responsibilities
- Act in an advisory capacity to the City Council in all matters pertaining to parks and recreation.
- Review the preliminary budget prepared by the Parks and Recreation Director and provide input as needed before submission to the City Manager and City Council.
- Assist in the planning of a recreation program for the inhabitants of the City and surrounding area, promote and stimulate public interest therein, and to that end, solicit to the fullest extent possible the cooperation of the school authorities and other public and private agencies.
- Advise the City Council with respect to the acceptance of money, personal property, or real estate donated or offered to the City for recreational or park purposes.
- Create and recommend to the City Council for approval a parks and recreation master plan and review and update such plan annually prior to the budget process.
- Perform such other duties not inconsistent with this Article as may be requested by the City Council or City Manager to other City departments or agencies.