Water & Wastewater Issue Reporting

The City of Rifle Utility Department is staffed Monday through Friday from 7 A.M. to 4 P.M. for all water and wastewater related issues, 7 A.M. to 4 P.M. on weekends and holidays for water treatment issues and personnel on call 24 hours per day, 7 days per week for all water and wastewater related issues.

Our operations goal is to operate with a 10 minute after-hours response time for water treatment, water distribution and wastewater collection (underground infrastructure) issues. Response time is time for staff to return your call or for staff to be in route to your location after they receive notification of issue.

Please follow the steps below to ensure that your concern is received and responded to in the most efficient manner possible

Emergencies during normal Utility Department business hours, 7 A.M. to 4 P.M. Monday through Friday should be reported to the utility department by calling 970-665-6595.

If staff is unavailable at this number please call Garfield County Communications at 970-625-8095 and report your emergency to have personnel dispatched.

For after-hours issues please call Garfield County Communications at 970-625-8095 and report your emergency to have personnel dispatched.

Click Here to use our online reporting form.  Online reporting forms are received by staff during normal business hours (7 A.M. to 4 P.M. Monday through Friday) and are responded to by the end of the next business day.

We would like to remind our customers that water service lines are the responsibility of the City of Rifle from the water main line to the curb stop or to the meter pit in the event of no curb stop being installed.  If you have both a curb stop and a meter pit the City of Rifle is responsible to the curb stop and for the meter / meter pit but not the piping in between.  Customers are responsible for all service line issues occurring after the curb stop, except for the water meter and / or meter pit. Meter pit is all fittings and pipe within the meter pit, including water meter (see sketch here). 

For wastewater service related issues customers are responsible for their sanitary sewer service lines from the main line to the building, and the internal building piping, the City of Rifle is only responsible for sanitary sewer main lines (see sketch here).

Some customers have pressure reducing valves (PRVs) in their homes but are unaware of this.  Failed PRVs can cause substantial damage to interior plumbing by allowing excessive water pressure to enter the building and fixtures. A failed PRV can also cause low water pressure. If you experience rattling or knocking pipes or an excessive amount of pressure damaging your fixtures you may need to contact a plumber to inspect your interior plumbing for a failed PRV.

Recently some companies have been trying to offer service line insurance policies to home / business owners.  We remind all customers that these companies are in no way affiliated with the City of Rifle.

Emergency Issues Examples

Water Leak (In Your Home Or In The Street)

Wastewater Backups (In Your Home Or In The Street)

No water In Your Home / Business

Non - Emergency Issues Examples
Water / Wastewater Billing
Locating Water / Wastewater Lines
Meter Reading
Notice of Service Disconnect
Water Pressure Issues (High Or Low Water Pressure)
Service Requests Examples
Water Meter Read
Turn Water Off / On For Scheduled Repairs
Locate Water Shutoff (Curbstop / Meter Pit)
Check Water Pressure